Georgia General Assembly
18 Capitol Square
Atlanta, GA 30334
Sessions: 2 year (odd-even)
Convenes: Jan (2nd Monday)
Adjourns: 40 legislative days
Who Represents Me?
Find Your Legislators
How A Bill Becomes A Law
Bill Signing Deadlines
During Session: 6 days excl Sun
After Session: 40 days
Pocket Veto: No
GA Constitution Art III SecV Par XIII
Bill Effective Date
Passed before July 1: July 1
Passed after June 30: January 1
Georgia Code Tit 1 Ch 3 Sec 4
Inherently Dangerous Animals:
Department of Natural Resources
Wildlife Resources Division
Special Permit Unit
2065 U.S. Highway 278, S.E.
Social Circle, Georgia 30025
Board: Board of Natural Resources
Meets: Monthly except Jul & Nov
NEXT MEETING: Aug 22
Inherently dangerous/regulated animals: BANS as pets. Issues the following for other purposes:
- Wild Animal License - wholesale or retail wild animal businesses or exhibitors (inherently dangerous animals require $40,000 per animal of liability insurance up to $500,000 except governmental agencies and university research centers)
- Wild Animal Permit - scientific or educational purposes or a capuchin service animal
- Wild Animal Auction License - $5000 - (one time wild animal auction - $50,000 cash or surety bond)
- Exhibition permits (permanent facilities open 30 hrs/week for 6 months and mobile facilities with 12 program hours/year)
- Rehabilitation permits (releasable animals)
- Bird Dealer's License (exotic and pet birds)
- NEW: Film Production Wildlife Permit (film, video or digital projects involving wildlife) (HB 840, 4/26/16 - Effective 7/1/16)
GA Code Ann. 27-5) (GA Rules & Regs. 391-4-9.03, 391-4-9.04) (Georgia Code Ann. 4-10)
- Birds – Need Animal Health Section prior permit number for import, and permit from the State Vet 21 days prior to the opening date for exhibitions and sales. Java Rice birds and monk parakeets are restricted and require a special permit.
- Exotic animals – Must have a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. Elephants and monkey must have a tattoo or microchip and test negative for TB within 12 months prior to import.
- Wild animals – Must follow rules of DNR.
(Georgia Rules & Regs 40-13; Georgia Code Ann. 4-11-11)