BANS possession, sale, purchase and breeding of dangerous regulated animals.

    • USDA facilities as of 2006
      • NO felonies in 10 years before 2006
      • Only to maintain inventories to sell to other USDA facilities and out-of-state
    • Owners on 10/1/06 if microchipped and registered with local animal control
    • AZA and ZAA facilities
    • wildlife sanctuaries
    • Department
    • scientific, education or exhibition permit holders
    • licensed medical or research institutions
    • USDA circuses, rodeos, fairs, and carnivals


  • Felines: Lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, cheetah, mountain lion
  • Bears
  • Non-native venomous snakes
  • Hybrids

REQUIREMENTS: Grandfathered owners and USDA facilities, AZA, ZAA, medical or research institutions, and wildlife sanctuaries

  • Meet USDA requirements related to operations, husbandry and health except snakes
  • Meet caging requirements
  • $250,000 liability insurance
  • health and ownership record retention
  • Post signs
  • annual vet visit
  • recovery plan
  • escape notification
  • Those other than owner who cares or handles one needs to be registered designated handler with 200 hours of experience

(Kansas Statutes 32-13; Kansas Admin Code 115-20-5 and 6)



Pet animals must comply with the Pet Animal Act.

  • INCLUDES: all vertebrates
  • EXCLUDES: horses, cattle, sheep, goats, swine, ratites, domesticated deer or domestic fowl

Dog and cat includes hybrids, so the animal breeder, hobby breeder, animal distributor and retail breeder licenses would apply. 

(Kansas Statutes 47-17



BANS import, possession, transport and release of live feral swine along with use in contained hunting preserves.

(Kansas Statutes 47-1809)



Issues aquaculture permits.

(Kansas Statutes 47-19)


              Domesticated deer = cervids sold or raised for breeding, carcasses or parts, exhibition or companionship.

PERMIT (Domesticated Deer Permit) required for possessing domesticated deer

  • NEED: identification, maintain records, allow inspections

BANS release.

(Kansas Statutes 47-21)



All nonindigenous ratites are regulated as livestock.

(Kansas Statutes 47-22)



Non-migratory exotic wildlife not listed above, under invasive species or as dangerous wild animals may be possessed without limit in time or number if they were legally acquired, are confined and controlled at all times, and not released.

(Kansas Admin Regs. 115-20-3)



Game Animal: big game (antelope, deer, elk), turkey, small game (game bird, hare, rabbit, squirrel)

Game Bird: grouse, partridge, pheasant, prairie chicken, quail

Furbearing Animal: badger, beaver, bobcat, grey fox, red fox, swift fox, lynx, marten, mink, muskrat, opossum, otter, raccoon, spotted and striped skunk, weasel

Wildlife: All animals except agricultural livestock (cattle, swine, sheep, goats, horses, mules and equines) and poultry (domestic chickens, turkeys and guinea fowl)

(Kansas Statutes 32-701 (as of 2012))



  • Game Breeder Permit (raise and sell native reptiles and amphibians, mountain lion, wolf, black bear, grizzly bear, game birds, game animals, and furbearing animals)
    • EXEMPT: domesticated deer permit

  • Scientific, Educational or Exhibition Permit (collect protected wildlife for those purposes) – expiration listed on permit

  • Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit (rehabilitate wildlife) – 1 year
    • EXEMPT:
      • veterinarians
      • temporarily transport to wildlife rehabilitator or authorized person within a day
      • emergency medical care and stabilization by accredited zoological parks, nature centers, department wildlife professionals or veterinarians up to 48 hours or must transfer to rehabilitator or veterinarian

  • Field Trial Permit (use game/furbearers/coyotes/wildlife in field trial) 

  • Commercial Dog Training Permit (use game/furbearers/coyotes/wildlife to train dogs commercially)

  • Wildlife Damage Control Permit (use formula 1080)

  • Cyanide gas gun permit

  • Prairie dog control permit

  • Nuisance bird control permit

  • Big game control permit

  • Wildlife control permit

  • Wildlife Importation Permit

  • Falconry Permit – 3 years

  • Temporary Falconry Permit (Non-US residents who practice falconry and had no falconry permit in another state) – 3 years

  • Raptor Propagation Permit (breed raptors – need federal permit and allow inspections)

(Kansas Statutes 32-951 to 956; Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-12 to 115-18)


Allows unlimited year-round take of the following native species, which may be possessed without limit in time:

  • Amphibians except bullfrogs – limit 5 per species
  • Reptiles except common snapping turtles and soft-shelled turtles – limit 5 per species
  • Armadillo
  • Moles
  • Rodents:
    • commensal rodents (Norway rats/roof rats/house mouse)
    • Others except game/furbearers
    • gopher, ground squirrel, kangaroo rat, porcupine, prairie dog, woodchuck, woodrat
  • Birds:
    • exotic doves (Eurasian collared dove/ringed turtledove)
    • feral pigeons
  • Invertebrates – all - mussels limited to 5
    • No hunting license needed

(Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-20-2)


Taking common snapping turtles and softshell turtles requires a fishing license.

Take Methods:

  • Bullfrogs – hand, hand dip net, hook and line, gig, bow and arrow with barbed head and line, crossbow and arrow with barbed head and line
  • Turtles – hand, hook and line, set line, hand dip net, seine, turtle trap, gig

(Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-7-5)


PERMIT (Possession Permit) required for cougars, wolves, and black and grizzly bears.

    • Zoos
    • Veterinarians
    • transporters through the state
    • possession not more than 5 days
    • scientific, educational or display purposes by schools or universities or circuses and similar business enterprises


  • Name and address and phone, species and number of wildlife, purpose, proof of purchase or receipt, and other required information for application
  • Submit report of any changes (including sales and dispositions, purchases and acquisitions, deaths, escapes) within 5 days
  • Report escapes in 24 hours

(Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-20-4)


BANS possession of live wild-caught furbearers after the season.

Allows possession of live wild-caught coyotes without limit in time.

(Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-5-2)




  • Commercial Fish Bait Permit (harvest, sale or purchase for resale fish and insects for fish bait)
    • EXEMPT: annelids and insects
    • Harvest Year-round with no limits: crayfish, annelids and insects

  • Commercial Mussel Fishing License (commercial fishing of mussels) - BANNED 11/17/22

  • Mussel Salvage Permit (salvage during mussel salvage order) – date on permit - BANNED through 2022 except with mussel salvage order
    • Possession Legal: up to 48 hours after permit expiration unless extension granted
    • Activity record and final report

  • Commercial Mussel Dealer Permit (purchase or import wild mussels for resale, export or commercial use)
    • Purchase Legal:
      • Taken under commercial mussel fishing license
      • commercial mussel dealer
      • Seller out-of-state authorized to
    • Sale Legal:
      • commercial mussel dealer
      • Buyer out-of-state authorized to
    • Buy/Sale/Trade BANNED: Fish bait
    • Buy/Sale/Trade Legal: Those under commercial mussel fishing license
    • Need bill of lading with shipment, export or sale
    • Commercial mussel dealer record book and quarterly report

  • Commercial Prairie Rattlesnake Special Event Permit (commercial harvest, possession or sale of prairie rattlesnakes for event)
    • Apply by: at least 30 days prior
    • Period: Apr 1 to Jun 15
    • Event Length: 30 days
    • Possession: unlimited snakes and parts and finished products
    • Release Required: snakes 18”+ not disposed of and those less than 18”
    • Need activity record and report within 30 days after event

  • Commercial Prairie Rattlesnake Harvest Permit (take prairie rattlesnakes for commercial use) – 1 year
    • Release Required:
      • before end of special event registered for if 18”+ and not disposed of
      • all those under 18”
    • Take Legal: only during commercial prairie rattlesnake special event if registered
      • Area: west of U.S. highway 283 except Morton county
      • Limit: take 10/day and possess 10/day in field
      • Possession: 20
      • Methods: hand, noose, snake hook, tong or fork, other approved methods along with holding bags, holding baskets and holding cages with permit number
    • Sale Legal: Need bill of sale (Purchaser may NOT purchase or receive for resale or sell)
      • Live: only during commercial prairie rattlesnake special event if registered
      • Finished Products: unlimited any time
      • Sale or giving away to Commercial Prairie Rattlesnake Dealer
    • Need activity record and final report within 15 days after harvest period

  • Commercial Prairie Rattlesnake Dealer Permit (purchase prairie rattlesnakes for sale or export) – 1 year
    • Purchase/Receipt Legal:
      • commercial prairie rattlesnake harvest permittee
      • commercial prairie rattlesnake dealer
      • person authorized by another state to sell
    • Sale Legal: Need bill of sale
      • Snakes 18”+
    • Purchase/Sale BANNED:
      • Snakes less than 18”
    • Possession Limit: Unlimited
    • Maintain records and report within 30 days of take season close

(Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-17)



BANS take, possession, transport, export, processing, sale, or offer for sale or shipment nongame species in need of conservation

  • GRANDFATHERED: application of affidavit filed by 1/1/90 along with previously approved animals
    • Those otherwise allowed
    • Accidental take if immediately released

See detailed list

(Kansas Statutes 32-959, 32-1009; Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-15-2)



BANS take, possessing, selling, transporting and exporting threatened and endangered species.

  • GRANDFATHERED: application of affidavit filed by 1/1/90 along with previously approved animals
    • Accidental take if immediately released
    • as allowed under special permit
    • imported ones

LIST: See Nongame in Need of Conservation

(Kansas Statutes 32-960, 32-1012; Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-15)


BANS certain species for importation and possession

  • GRANDFATHERS: those owned before listed date per species
  • PERMIT (Wildlife Importation Permit) issued for experimental, scientific, display and other purposes.



  • Walking catfish (1978)
  • Silver carp (1978)
  • Bighead carp (1978)
  • Black carp (10/1/00)
  • Snakehead (family Channidae) (5/1/03)
  • Round goby (8/1/04)
  • White perch (2/15/07)
  • Diploid grass carp (1/1/08)
  • Crucian carp (1/1/21)
  • Largescale silver carp (1/1/21)
  • Prussian carp (1/1/21)
  • Wels catfish (1/1/21)
  • Eurasian minnow (1/1/21)
  • Stone moroko (1/1/21)
  • European perch (1/1/21)
  • Nile perch (1/1/21)
  • Roach (1/1/21)
  • Amur sleeper (1/1/21)
  • Zander (1/1/21)


  • Zebra mussel (8/1/04)
  • Quagga mussel (8/1/04)
  • New Zealand mudsnail (5/15/05)
  • Marbled crayfish (1/30/19)
  • Common yabby (1/1/21)


  • Monk parakeet (1978)


  • Asian raccoon dog (1986)

(Kansas Statutes 32-956; Kansas Admin. Regs. 115-18-10)


Health certificate required for domesticated deer, nonindigenous ratites, zoo animals, fur-bearing animals and domesticated wild animals.

Zebras are regulated under Equidae. 

Camelids need health certificate or a certificate of veterinary inspection, detailed description, permanent ID (microchip, ear tag, tattoo, etc.), and brucellosis and TB testing within 30 days if 6 months or older. 

(Kansas Statutes 47-607d, 47-610; Kansas Admin. Regs. 9-7)