BANS import, possession, purchase and sale. 

    • AZA zoos
    • Zoo of Acadiana
    • research facilities
    • transporting through the state within 24 hours if not exhibited
    • temporary circuses excluding photo ops, wrestling or activities in close contact with patrons
    • 1 big cat as state college and university mascots
    • Wolf hybrids are legal with proof they are hybrid
    • 1 service monkey


  • Other zoos (municipal or publicly owned after 2014)
    • Must: own multiple species, have 1 fulltime professional staff member with knowledge and experience of zoo park management, provide care, exhibit to public regularly, and have primary mission of exhibition, conservation, and preservation of animals in educational and scientific manner
  • educational institutions
  • AZA animal sanctuaries
    • BANS exhibiting, breeding, or selling listed animals AND must surgically sterilize or house separately to prevent breeding
    • BANS public contact
    • BANS transport to public place where they can come into contact with public
    • Must meet enclosure rules


  • Primates owned on April 6, 2006 with Nonhuman Primate Permit and annual testing
    • Must allow inspections, prevent public contact including NOT taking to public place where it can occur, take for annual vet exam, report escapes in 24 hours and submit permit change information in 30 days
  • Primates owned Jun 30, 2015 that got permit for 1st time that year that follow above requirements  
  • Potentially dangerous wild quadrupeds with Potentially Dangerous Wild Quadruped License
  • 1 big exotic cat owned August 15, 2006
    • Need: $100,000 insurance with A or higher rated company, microchip, recapture plan, signs, live on premises where kept, destruction weapon and chemical immobilization method, keep in enclosure except vet care, notify department and police immediately of escapes, keep in sanitary and safe conditions


Dangerous Wild Quadrupeds:

  • Black, grizzly, polar bears
  • Red and gray wolves

Big Exotic Cats:

  • Tigers, lions, leopards (all types), jaguars, cheetahs, cougars
  • Subspecies and hybrids of listed cats

(Louisiana Admin Code 76:115)
Authority: Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:6(31)



BANS release of animals, birds or aquatic species used for agriculture, science, research, commerce, public propagation, protective custody or education with a penalty of up to $1000 fine and/or 1 year imprisonment.

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 14:228.1)



             Game―any red fox or grey fox or coyote stocked in a fox/coyote hunting preserve for the purpose of dog training and/or chasing with hounds.

             Nongame Quadruped―alligators, beavers, bobcats, coyotes, grey foxes, minks, muskrats, nutrias, opossums, otters, raccoons, red foxes, skunks and other wild quadrupeds valuable for furs or skins.

BANS live foxes or coyotes taken from outside the state (except those on effective date) and transport from state including out-of-state sales including native ones.

BANS purchase, take, possession, sale, and holding in captivity of live foxes and coyotes.

    • authorized nongame quadruped breeder or exhibitor license (not for pets)
    • as allowed in RS 56



PERMIT required to breed, exhibit or trap nongame quadrupeds. 

  • Nongame Quadruped Breeder License (raise, exhibit or sell nongame quadrupeds or collect and sell wild alligator eggs on alligator or fur farms) – NO PETS - $50 starting 2024

  • Nongame Quadruped Exhibitor License (raise/exhibit nongame quadrupeds) – NO PETS - $20 starting 2024

  • Resident Trapper’s License - $40 starting 2024

  • Coyote Trapping Permit (trap coyotes outside season) - Need breeder license to sell

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:262; Louisiana Admin. Code 76:113)



Fur Animal (nongame quadruped) Farmer – Breed and raise furbearing animals for exhibition or other commercial purposes
Furbearing Animals - beaver, bobcat, coyote, gray and red fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, otter, raccoon, and skunk
Wildbirds – migratory game birds, resident game birds, outlaw birds, and protected birds
Migratory Game Bird – ducks, geese, rails, coot, gallinules, snipe, woodcock, wild doves
    Resident Game Birds - wild turkey, black francolin, bobwhite quail, pheasants
    Outlaw Birds – crows, red-wing blackbirds, English sparrows, starlings
    Protected Birds – all unlisted resident and migratory birds except under a game breeder license
Wild quadrupeds – game quadrupeds, outlaw quadrupeds, and protected quadrupeds except under a game breeder license

  • Game Quadrupeds – wild deer, bear, squirrels, wild rabbits
  • Outlaw Quadrupeds – coyote, armadillo, feral hog
  • Protected Quadruped – wolf, coyote, bobcat, foxes
  • Nongame Quadruped - mink, otter, muskrat, nutria, beaver, weasel, raccoon, skunk, opossum, alligator, etc. valuable for fur

Wildlife – all wild vertebrates


PERMIT (Game Breeder’s License-
$50) required to breed and sell domestic native North American deer (before 2002), wild game quadrupeds, domesticated wild game birds, and domesticated wild waterfowl on breeding farms or propagating preserves.

  • ALSO NEED: Shipping Permit to export for breeding, scientific, or educational purposes

BANS wild-take of game quadrupeds and birds.

  • EXEMPT: hunting preserves with bird-dog training permit, field trial permit or federal falconry permit


  • Obtain license before acquisition of game quadrupeds and within 30 days for birds
  • Sales need sales report (if more than 10 birds/buyer/24 hours) and bill of sale
  • Also need: annual report, fence (deer), minimum pen sizes, liability waiver and recapture plan (deer/potentially dangerous), inspections

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:116.2, 119, 171-181; 76 Louisiana Admin Code Part V Sec. 107)


Alternative Livestock = imported or domestically raised exotic deer and antelope, elk, and farm-raised white-tailed deer (raised to buy, sell or trade except game, zoo park or wildlife exhibit)

LICENSE (Farm-raising License) required to keep, breed, raise, harvest, contain, slaughter, buy, sell, trade or transfer alternative livestock for commercial purposes.

  • BANS import and transport of white-tailed deer and mule or black-tailed deer. 
  • BANS import of elk in violation of any Imposition of Quarantine by the Louisiana Livestock Sanitary Board.
  • BANS release.



  • White-tailed deer need implant at base of left ear with code on all health certificates and bill of sales; rest need electronic implant or permanent tattoo and ear tag on left ear
  • Deer sold or traded alive for breeding or stocking are exempt from tag requirements
  • Transport of deer or elk between facilities requires entry permit number
  • Bill of sale for sales or transfers
  • Maintain records for 60 months
  • Farming operation plan
  • Conduct weekly ground inspection of fence and notify department in 12 hours of breaches or openings big enough to escape
  • Make reasonable recapture efforts for escapes and remove wild white-tailed deer that enter
  • Facility in rural area and enclosed by fencing that is 8’ high made of 12 ½ gauge wire and meets other requirements
  • Transfer application if transferring ownership (need permission)


  • Written authorization needed except transport through in interstate commerce if not unloaded (emergency unloading requires state vet approval)
  • General health requirements, entry permit number at least 15 days prior, negative Brucellosis test at least 30 days prior if 6 months+, negative TB test
  • Provide specific information required for import

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 3:3101 et. al.; Louisiana Admin. Code 7:1701 et. al., 76:117)



REGULATES raising or selling domestic farm-raised ratites for progeny and certain parts for commercial purposes.

  • CLASSIFIED AS: Alternative Livestock


  • Provide information when requested to support department activities
  • Import requires certificate of veterinary inspection from USDA accredited vet and allow inspections

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 3:3111-3:3117; Louisiana Admin. Code Part XXI 7:1701 et. al., 76:117)



BANS take of endangered and threatened reptiles and amphibians. 

  • EXEMPT: conservation efforts


  • Mississippi gopher frog
  • green sea turtle
  • hawksbill sea turtle
  • Kemp's ridley sea turtle
  • leatherback sea turtle
  • loggerhead sea turtle
  • gopher tortoise
  • ringed sawback turtle


BANS commercial take, possession, sale, purchase, trade, barter and exchange of restricted turtles. 

  • EXEMPT: Wild-caught ones by turtle farmers on effective date and those imported

LEGAL to take restricted turtles for recreational use.

  • BANS recreational take using commercial gear.
    • 1 alligator snapping turtle
    • 2 box turtles
    • 2 razor-backed musk turtles
    • 4 box turtles
    • 4 razor-backed musk turtles
    • Certified zoos
    • aquariums
    • universities
    • research and nature centers


  • alligator snapping turtle
  • razor-backed musk turtle
  • box turtle

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:632-637; Louisiana Admin. Code 7:1901 et. al., 76 LAC Part XV)



PERMIT (Turtle Farmer License) required to breed, hatch, propagate, raise, grow, receive, ship, transport, export, or sell turtles or turtle eggs.

  • BANS import from another state unless certified
  • BANS sale of eggs and those with carapace less than 4”
    • EXEMPT: bona fide scientific, educational, or exhibitional purposes (not pets) and sales to certified turtle farmers


  • Need pond, inventory storage and the following areas if used in commerce: laying, egg washing, treatment, hatching, and post hatching
  • Meet facility requirements
  • Allow inspections
  • Produced turtles need lot number (limited to 20,000 viable ones)
  • Farm raised turtle eggs must come from certified farmers and have lot number
  • Farm-raised turtles to replenish pond stock or for pet trade need designated lot and stay in lot until removed from facility
  • Meet testing and quarantine requirements
  • Health certificate to import farm-raised ones
  • Keep the following records for 3 years: Turtle Group Distribution Document, Daily Record Keeping for Turtles and Eggs, license, facility inspection reports, laboratory results and reports,  U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Form 3 177 (export), health certificate, chain of custody form

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 3:2358, 56:632-637; Louisiana Admin. Code 7:1901 et. al., 76 LAC Part XV)



BANS take of turtle eggs except red-eared slider. 

LEGAL to take turtles.


  • Must mark traps as turtle traps
  • Trap must allow breathing
  • Fish/nontarget species except watersnakes and salamanders must be released upon discovery or in 24 hours
  • BANS finfish in field during commercial trapping

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:632-637; 76 LAC Part XV)



Legal Sale/Purchase:

  • Those with snout-vent length of 1 ¾” or length of 5” with tail

(Louisiana Admin. Code 76 LAC Part XV)


PERMIT required to remove from the wild or kill restricted amphibians and reptiles.

  • LEGAL to take 5 dead ones
  • LEGAL to capture, process on site (mark, etc.) and release for scientific study


  • Salamanders: Southern red-backed, tiger, Webster’s, mud, red
  • Snakes: Louisiana pine, black pine, Eastern diamondback rattlesnake

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:632-637; Louisiana Admin. Code 76 LAC Part XV)


PERMIT (Reptile and Amphibian Wholesaler/Retail Dealer’s License OR Possession Permit) required for import or private possession of constrictors and venomous snakes. 

    • Animal sanctuaries
    • Zoos and aquariums
    • Wildlife research centers
    • Scientific organizations
    • Medical research facilities

Constrictors includes:

  • Those over 8’ (statues say 8’ and rule says 12’)
  • Anaconda (Genus Eunectes)
  • Boa (Genus Boa)
  • Pythons: Papuan, olive, carpet, scrub, Amethystine, Southern African rock, African rock, Burmese, reticulated

Poisonous Snakes includes:

  • Viperidae
  • Elapidae
  • Hydrophiidae
  • Atractaspididae
  • Boomslang
  • twig snakes
  • keelback snakes


  • 1 year (500 hours) of experience with 2 references of those knowledgeable of such experience (half of experience may be substituted by zoological courses)
  • Secure transport container when removing from field


  • Be 18+
  • secure, escape-proof enclosures with locked doors or in locked rooms
  • notify department of escapes outside room or enclosure
  • allow inspections
  • Have 30 days to become compliant if found not compliant or will forfeit animals
  • Non-permitted owners have 30 days to obtain permit

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:637.5.1; 76 Louisiana Admin Code Part VII Sec. 101)


PERMIT (Alligator Permit) required to take, possess or sell alligators or eggs.

BANS taking albino or white alligators from the wild.

    • landowners, alligator farmers or ranches to protect the alligator if reported
    • Eggs possessed or collected by farmer which hatch white with approval

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:261, 280; Louisiana Admin. Code 76 LAC Part XV)


Legal Take Methods:

  • Gig or spear
  • Frog catcher

Illegal Take Methods:

  • Firearms at night

Season: Year-round except April and May

Size Limit: except on privately owned land with permission

  • Bullfrog: at least 5”
  • Grunters: at least 3”



Illegal Take:

  • Eggs
  • Trapping

Export Restriction: wild-caught ones during April 15 – June 15 (must be released)



(NEW permit fees increased as shown below - Act 356 – Effective 11/15/21)

  • Recreational Fishing License (collect native herp for noncommercial purposes)

  • Nonresident Fishing License (collect native herp for noncommercial purposes)

  • Resident or Nonresident Collectors Permit (sell wild-caught native reptiles and amphibians except alligators) - $55 resident, $420 nonresident, $10 if under 18

  • Scientific Collector’s Permit (herpetological research – BANS sale)

  • Reptile and Amphibian Wholesaler/Retail Dealer’s License (acquire or propagate poisonous snakes and constrictors and native herp to sell/resell or sell native captive-bred herp)- $220 resident, $880 nonresident
    • EXEMPT:
      • farm raised aquatic turtles
      • employees operating at place of business
      • transport herp to a wholesale/retail dealer

  • Issues 3-day licenses for nonresidents- $150

  • Reptile and Amphibian Transport Permit (transport except Collectors or Wholesaler/Retail Dealer permit holders) - $65 resident, $250 nonresident

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 3:2358, 56:632-637; Louisiana Admin. Code 7:1901 et. al., 76 LAC Part XV)



  (43) "Domesticated fish" means any fish approved by the department through promulgation under the Administrative Procedure Act of a list of approved aquatic organisms that are spawned and grown, managed, harvested, and marketed on an annual, semiannual, biennial, or short-term basis, in privately owned waters.

Species with * have special permits

Shadow bass (up to 6”)
White bass (up to 6”)
Yellow bass (up to 6”)
Crappie (up to 6”)
Bream (up to 6”)
Spotted bass
Striped bass
Largemouth bass
Hybrid striped bass
Coppernose bluegill (up to 6”)
Hybrid bream (bluegill x green sunfish OR redear sunfish x bluegill – up to 6”)
Common carp, koi, goldfish
red drum
triploid grass carp*
tilapia (blue, Nile, Mozambique, Wami)*
shovelnose sturgeon*
rainbow trout*
aquarium livestock*
cocohoe minnows
freshwater prawn*

(52) "Fish" (noun) means all finfish, shellfish, and crustaceans, and all other species of aquatic life.

(67) "Game fish" means all of the following species of freshwater and saltwater fish:

            (a) Freshwater game fish means largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides), spotted bass (Micropterus punctulatus), shadow bass (Ambloplites ariommus), black or white crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus, P. annularis), white bass (Morone chrysops), yellow bass (Morone mississippiensi), striped bass (Morone saxatillis), hybrid striped bass (striped bass-white bass cross or striped bass-yellow bass cross), and any species of bream (Lepomis sp.).

            (b) Saltwater game fish means any sailfish (Istiopharus platypterus), blue marlin (Makaira indica), black marlin (Makaira nigricans), striped marlin (Tetrapturus audax), hatchet marlin (Tetrapturus spp.), white marlin (Tetrapturus albidus), and red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus).Game Fish – freshwater game (largemouth/spotted/shadow/white/yellow/striped/hybrid striped bass, black and white crappie and bream (Lepomis)) and saltwater game (sailfish, blue/black/striped/hatchet/white marlin, red drum)

Wildlife – all wild vertebrates

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:8)


BANS possession, sale and transport of freshwater electric eel (Electrophorus), rudd, Asian swamp eels (Synbranchidae), snakeheads (Channidae), walking catfish, pencil catfish (Trichomycteridae), tilapia, and carp. 

    • koi
    • goldfish
    • written permission

BANS possession and sale of Rio Grande cichlid and piranha.

  • EXEMPT: Aquarium of the Americas with permit

BANS maintenance, sale, barter, trade and exchange of apple snails and Rio Grande cichlids.

  • EXEMPT: Those killed upon capture

BANS take, possession, purchase, sale, barter, exchange of prohibited sharks. 

  • PERMIT (Scientific Collecting Permit) issued for scientific and educational purposes

Bighead, black, silver and grass carp may be captured by commercial gear but may not be sold live. Silver and bighead carp may be caught by recreational fishers using boats, dip nets, spears, snagging.

LIST: Prohibited Sharks:

  • basking shark
  • white shark
  • bigeye sand tiger
  • sand tiger
  • whale shark
  • smalltooth sawfish
  • largetooth sawfish
  • Atlantic angel shark
  • Caribbean sharpnose shark
  • smalltail shark
  • bignose shark
  • Caribbean reef shark
  • dusky shark
  • Galapagos shark
  • narrowtooth shark
  • night shark
  • bigeye sixgill shark
  • bigeye thresher shark
  • longfin mako
  • sevengill shark
  • sixgill shark

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:319; 76 Louisiana Admin. Code Part VII Sec. 199)



PERMIT (Domesticated Aquatic Organisms License) required to transport or sell domesticated aquatic organisms. $25 residents/$500 nonresidents

  • EXCLUDES: Prohibited Species
  • EXEMPTS: noncommercial personal aquarium ownership and commercial retail facilities that do NOT breed fish

(76 Louisiana Admin Code Part VII Sec. 901)



BANS import, transport, and possession of fingerlings less than 6”, eggs and fry. 

PERMIT (Triploid Grass Carp Possession and Transport Permit) required to stock triploid grass carp in private waterbodies or transport them. 

  • EXEMPT FROM: domesticated aquatic organism license if not sold

PERMIT (Triploid Grass Carp Sales Permit) required to sell such carp. 

  • ALSO NEED: domesticated aquatic organism license



  • Import/transport into state requires certification
  • Provide quantity of carp to department for testing
  • Allows inspections
  • Allows restocking due to unavoidable loss or death
  • Allows stocking 10 fish per acre up to 500 (more requires approval and inspection)
  • Bill of lading during transport with buyer and seller info, source of fish, certification, quantity, destination


  • Annual report of transactions
  • Import into state requires certification
  • Must mark Triploid Grass Carp on vehicle
  • May only sell to another sales permit holder or up to 500 to possession and transport permit holder
  • Notify department 24 hours before shipment

(76 Louisiana Admin Code Part VII Sec. 901)


PERMIT (Tilapia Holding Permit) required to hold tilapia for sale.

  • ALSO NEED: retail dealer's license

PERMIT (Tilapia Culture Permit) required to import, export, transport and sell tilapia AND for eggs, fry and juveniles. 

  • ALSO NEED: domesticated aquatic organism license


  • Notify department 2 business days before shipment from culture permit to another culture permit holder or holding permit holder within state or shipping outside the state
  • Approval to import into state each time
  • Bill of lading during import, export, transport or sale
  • Security measures to guard against theft
  • Entire facility 1’ above 100-year flood elevation
  • Contingency plan for floods
  • Must be indoor enclosed system
  • Means of disposal in case of emergency
  • 1 personnel with knowledge of tilapia
  • Provide quantity to department for testing
  • Post performance bond which increases annually

(76 Louisiana Admin Code Part VII Sec. 903)


PERMIT (Shovelnose Sturgeon Permit required to import, export, culture, dispose of and transport shovelnose sturgeon for aquaculture.

  • ALSO NEED: domesticated aquatic organism license

BANS export, sales except culture facilities, release, and genetically altered sturgeon. 


  • Import/Transfer requires written approval 2 business days before shipment each time AND they must be acquired outside Red River drainage AND not taken from range of S/A of shovelnose and pallid sturgeons
  • Bill of lading for import, transport, transfer or sale with required info AND health certificate for import
  • Facility must be in one of the listed parishes
  • Immediately notify of escape
  • Security measures against theft or vandalism
  • 1 person familiar with live holding systems available
  • May collect broodstock from Red River up to 3 years under supervision of department or other party – may be extended
  • Also need: inspection, facility to be 1’ above 100-year flood elevation, tagging of sturgeon, contingency plan, meet culture requirements, provide sample for identification upon request, annual report, $50,000 performance bond or letter of credit from financial institution

(76 Louisiana Admin Code Part VII Sec. 911)


PERMIT (Rainbow Trout Permit) required to import, export, transport, culture, dispose of, or transfer rainbow trout for aquaculture.

  • ALSO NEED: domesticated aquatic organism license

PERMIT (Rainbow Trout Stocking Permit) required to stock rainbow trout in public or private waters.

  • BANS release without approval.


  • Import/Transfer: Requires written approval 2 business days before shipment AND health certificate
  • Must notify of escapes
  • Provide quantity to department for testing
  • Keep records of processed trout for 5 years and provide annually

(76 Louisiana Admin Code Part VII Sec. 913)



PERMIT (Aquarium Livestock Permit) required to import, export, transport, dispose, or transfer live aquarium livestock for commercial culture or rearing.

  • ALSO NEED: domesticated aquatic organism license
    • Retail stores or wholesalers not actively breeding or growing aquarium livestock
    • Home aquarists not selling commercially

BANS release without approval.


  • bristlenose catfish (Ancitrus)
  • African rift lake cichlids (Cichlidae family, tribe Haplochromini)
  • fancy guppy


  • Immediately notify of escapes
  • Have facility 1’ above 100-year flood elevation
  • Account for all water and screen upon leaving facility for escapees
  • Enclosed facility
  • Emergency disposal method
  • Allow inspections
  • Provide quantity to department for testing
  • Keep records of processed livestock for 5 years and provide annually
  • Prior approval before adding species, hybrids or other types
  • $25,000 performance bond or letter of credit from financial institution

(76 Louisiana Admin Code Part VII Sec. 915)



PERMIT (Freshwater Prawn Permit) required to import, export, transport, culture, dispose of, or transfer live freshwater prawns for aquaculture.

  • ALSO NEED: domesticated aquatic organism license

BANS release without approval.


  • Import/Transfer requires written approval 2 business days and health certificate before shipment each time
  • Immediately notify of escape
  • Account for all water and screen upon leaving facility for escapees
  • Enclosed facility
  • Emergency disposal method
  • Allow inspections
  • Provide quantity to department for testing
  • Keep records of processed prawn for 5 years and provide annually
  • $25,000 performance bond or letter of credit from financial institution

(76 Louisiana Admin Code Part VII Sec. 919)



  • Wholesale/Retail Dealer’s License

  • Transport License (commercial transporters) – BANS buying/selling - $83
      • commercial fisherman's license and wholesale/retail dealer's license
      • crawfish and catfish produced in private ponds and catfish transported to 1st point of sale 

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:17, 307, 318, 412)




BANS take, possession and transport of Louisiana jewfish and Nassau groupers.

(Louisiana Admin Code 76:337)



Game Fish – freshwater game (largemouth/spotted/shadow/white/yellow/striped/hybrid striped bass, black and white crappie and bream (Lepomis)) and saltwater game (sailfish, blue/black/striped/hatchet/white marlin, red drum)

BANS purchase, sale or exchange of game fish

    • those taken, possessed or sold out-of-state
    • aquaculturally raised game fish (may be imported, possessed or sold)
    • Louisiana State University Agricultural Center research and approved programs
  • EXCLUDES: largemouth, spotted, shadow, white, yellow, and striped bass, black and white crappie and bream

PERMIT needed sell oyster, shrimp, seafood.

  • Commercial fishing license
  • Seafood Retail License
  • Seafood Wholesale License
  • Certification from aquaculture or experimental mariculture permit


  • Import: Notify department prior to each shipment (except domesticated aquatic organisms license) AND bill of lading
  • Wholesalers and commercial transporters delivering to retail dealers need bill of lading


PERMIT (Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit) required to keep, hold or possess sick, injured or orphaned wildlife or rehabilitate them.

    • USFWS rehabilitation permit for MBTA or ESA species
    • Special Purpose and Possession permit for educational use of nonreleaseable
  • EXEMPT: department and veterinarians treating animal from rehabilitator, department employee or public if transferred to rehabilitator or released in 72 hours
  • ALLOWS: transport, temporary possession, rehabilitation, transfer to vet or rehabilitator for treatment or euthanasia, and euthanasia
  • BANS: display for education or other display unless authorized


  • 18 or older
  • NO conviction of Class II or greater wildlife violation in state or equivalent in another state in last 5 years and no felony conviction in any state
  • Complete application, liability release and financial responsibility statement
  • Complete state approved wildlife rehabilitation course and be certified under guidelines
  • Statement of Veterinary Support Form
  • Allow pre-inspections


  • Complete continuing education courses as required
  • Comply with other laws
  • NO animal sales
  • NO consumption of animals unless authorized
  • NO S1-ranked species without authorization
  • NO import or export of rehabilitated animals without authorization
  • NO white-tailed deer, bear, wild turkey, or alligators unless on permit
  • NO possessing non-migratory birds more than 90 days, injured wildlife more than 45 days or orphaned wildlife longer than required up to 120 days except with written request for extension with proposed release date if determined releaseable after period above due to biological reasons or veterinarian determines need for additional rehabilitation due to medical issues
  • Minimal handling except as necessary
  • May have up to 5 subpermittees with application - Subject to permit revocation if subpermittees are not supervised or violate rules
  • Use AVMA rules for euthanasia
  • Release on private land requires landowner permission including a signed document of such permission with required information
  • Release on public land requires permission of owning governmental agency
  • Meet NWRA and IWRC Minimum Standards for Wildlife Rehabilitation
  • (recommended) pre-exposure rabies immunization for rabies-vector species (raccoon, fox, coyote, skunk, bat)
  • Wildlife Rehabilitation Report Form within 30 days of expiration
  • Record of each animal


  • May transport, house and care for animals away from facility
  • Be 18 or older
  • Meet all rehabilitation rules except testing
  • Must work under supervision of rehabilitator
  • Need permit if away from facility

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:116.2, 119; 76 Louisiana Admin Code Part V Sec. 131)



PERMIT (Film/Entertainment Industry Animal Permit) needed to possess, purchase, and educationally exhibit LA wildlife for movies, film, entertainment and education.

  • ALSO NEED: USFWS permit for MBTA, Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, and ESA species
  • INCLUDES: all tetrapods (amphibian, bird, reptile, mammal) except domestic cats and dogs historically free-ranging in state
    • sale, barter or transfer of rabies-vector species out-of-state
    • Potentially dangerous quadrupeds, big exotic cats, and non-human primates
  • ALLOWS: transport, possession, trade, barter, and transfer for purpose related to film/entertainment industry use, training or physical welfare

Application: complete application AND

  • Be 21 or older
  • Be resident with 5 years verifiable film/entertainment industry experience through a resume with 5 years of training in last 10 years
  • statement of veterinary support form
  • Pre-inspection
  • NO conviction of Class II or greater wildlife violation in state or equivalent in another state in last 5 years and no felony conviction in any state
  • Submit copy of USDA Class C license (required)
  • Proposed animal inventory list (must be updated within 48 hours of change after getting animals)
  • Escape plan with log sheet
  • Signed liability waiver


  • Limited to native species
  • NO wild-caught species and no releasing species – must be from licensed trapper, game breeder, or nongame quadruped breeder with bill of sale or invoice
  • Rabies vector species (mammalian species listed as carriers) need killed rabies vaccine recorded in health record with annual renewal
  • Health certificate with microchip tag and annual vet inspections
  • Foxes and coyotes must come from in state and have bill of sale or invoice
  • Allow inspections
  • Provide humane care
  • Allows educational displays and public displays if animals are on permit – NO wrestling, photo ops, or public contact
  • May display outside enclosure if under control and restraint
  • Meet holding pen and enclosure requirements
  • Notify department 24 hours before transport to venue or job
  • Written notification of escapes within 48 hours (may submit escape log) – more than 3/year may result in suspension and failure to notify may result in immediate loss of permit
  • Updated written animal inventory list submitted regularly and notify department within 48 hours of changes
  • Injuries to audience member or public reported in 48 hours – may lose permit
  • Injuries above by unpermitted animal or animal not on permit may result in immediate permanent revocation of permit
  • Unreported injuries (listed and unlisted animals) may result in immediate permanent revocation and criminal charges


  • Annual reports
  • Copies of USDA inspections in prior year
  • Certificate of veterinary inspection or health inspections
  • Escape plan log sheet
  • Report of injuries to permittee or subpermittee or injury to animal in prior year including all bites, scratches and claw wounds and any requiring first aid or serious medical intervention – animal injury includes wounds, bites, broken bones, tissue or organ damage or environmental stress related injuries

(76 Louisiana Admin Code Part V Sec. 133)



PERMIT (Falconry Permit) required to possess native and exotic raptors for falconry.

  • SPECIES: native raptors (Accipitriformes, Falconiformes and Strigiformes) under MBTA and exotic ones
  • TYPES: Apprentice, General, Master

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:116.2, 119, 128; 76 Louisiana Admin Code Part V Sec. 301)



BANS export, take, possession, processing, sale, delivery, carrying, transport and shipment of endangered species.

  • INCLUDES: federal ESA species
    • transport through
    • legal import from state where not listed
    • permit for scientific purposes, regulated taking, or enhancing propagation or survival

LIST (Updated 2020):


  • Invertebrates: pink mucket, fat pocketbook
  • Fish: pallid sturgeon, smalltooth sawfish
  • Amphibian: dusky gopher frog
  • Reptiles: hawksbill sea turtle, Kemp's Ridley sea turtle, leatherback sea turtle
  • Birds: whooping crane, interior least tern, red-cockaded woodpecker
  • Mammals: sperm whale, Florida panther


  • Invertebrates: Louisiana pearlshell, inflated heelsplitter, rabbitsfoot
  • Fish: gulf sturgeon
  • Amphibian: none
  • Reptiles: Loggerhead Sea Turtle, Green Sea Turtle, Ringed Map Turtle, Gopher Tortoise, Black Pinesnake, Louisiana Pinesnake
  • Birds: piping plover, red knot
  • Mammals: West Indian Manatee, Northern Long-eared Bat

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 56:1904)


REGISTRATION (feral swine authorized transporter) with Louisiana Board of Animal Health required to transport feral swine.

  • EXEMPT: Uncle Earl's Hog Dog Trials

(Louisiana Rev. Statutes 14:102.28; Louisiana Admin. Code 7:1312)



Health certificate and reporting on number within 10 days required to import wild or semi-wild animals.

(7 Louisiana Admin. Code Part XXI, Ch. 5