PERMIT required to possess, import, transfer, purchase or sell inherently dangerous animals. 

    • Livestock regulated by Department of Agriculture and Commerce


  • Personal Possession Permit (non commercial)
    • Fees per animal: canids $75, primates $150, bears $200, felids $300, rest $300
    • Requirements: living where animal resides or permanent care-taker, records proving ownership, animal inventory, signed veterinarian of record, $100,000 per animal up to
      • $1,000,000 of liability insurance

  • Temporary Exhibitor Permit (less than 30 days) - $100
    • Application must be sent at least 45 days prior to exhibition
    • Requirements: exhibited animal inventory, USDA Class C license copy and latest Animal Care Inspection Report, presentation or act outline with handout samples, contract for the exhibition with the state, signed veterinarian of record, $100,000 per animal up to $1,000,000 of liability insurance, animal cages large enough to stand and lie and move with exhibits more than 10 days requiring special caging, and special authorization for elephant rides

  • Fee-Exempt (approved exempt facilities)
    • ISSUED TO:
      • public zoos (AZA or municipal zoo)
      • university research facilities
      • governmental agencies
      • temporary exhibitors
      • rehabilitator/sanctuaries (501(c)(3) that does not breed or conduct commercial activity)
      • facilities on 1/1/99
    • Requirements for Exemption Certificate: animal inventory, signed veterinarian of record, and USDA Class C license copy and latest Animal Care Inspection Report


  • Bears
  • Wolverines
  • Hyenas and aardwolves
  • Elephants
  • Rhinos
  • Hippopotamus
  • African buffalo
  • Primates
    • Pongidae (apes)
    • Macaques
    • Drills, Mandrills, Baboons
    • Gelada baboon
  • Canines
    • Canis species including wolf dogs but excluding coyotes
    • Maned wolf
    • Red dog
    • African hunting dog
  • Felines
    • Lion
    • Tiger
    • Jaguar
    • Leopard
    • Snow Leopard
    • Cheetah
    • Cougar


  • Be 21 or older
  • 2 years of experience in care and handling or take written examination,
  • Recapture plan
  • NO convictions of captive wildlife regulations, illegal commercialization of wildlife or cruelty to animals in 3 years
  • Microchip transponder
  • Source and health records
  • General and specific caging and care standards
  • Allowing inspections
  • Immediate notification of escapes

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 2 Rule 8.3)
Authority: 49 Mississippi Code Ch. 8


PERMIT (Exotic Livestock Facility Permit) required for exotic livestock

  • LIST: exotic hoofed animals including nonnative cervids, exotic ruminants, non-domestic camelids, and nondomestic swine raised for products, sport or exhibition
  • Escapes must be reported within 24 hours to State Vet

REGISTRATION required to own wildebeest.

  • PERMIT required for in-state transport
  • BANS nose-to-nose contact with cattle or bison

(2 Miss. Admin. Code Part 101 Ch. 11)


Endangered species – species in the state, United States’ List of Endangered Native Fish and Wildlife as it appears on July 1, 1974, United States’ List of Endangered Foreign Fish and Wildlife

Game Birds - geese, brant ducks, rails, coot, snipe, gallinules, moorhen, woodcock, crow, mergansers, wild turkey, quail and doves

        Nongame Birds – all wild resident or migratory birds not classified as game birds

Game Fish - sunfish (Centrarchidae) including largemouth, shadow, smallmouth, and spotted bass, black and white crappie; redear, green, longear, and redbreast sunfish, bluegill and warmouth; perch (Percidae) including walleye, sauger, and yellow perch; pike (Esocidae) including redfin, grass and chain pickerel; temperate bass (Moronidae) including white, yellow, striped and hybrid striped bass

Nongame Gross Fish – gizzard and threadfin shad; channel, blue and flathead catfish; yellow, brown and black bullhead; spotted, longnose, shortnose, and alligator gar; American eel; bowfin; paddlefish; common carp; river and highfin carpsucker; quillback; spotted sucker; blacktail redhorse; smallmouth, bigmouth and black buffalo; freshwater drum

        Nongame Fish – all native species not listed as game fish or nongame gross fish

Nonnative Fish – all fish native to US but not MS or native to foreign countries

Nongame species - wild mammal, bird, amphibian, reptile, fish, mollusk, crustacean or other wild animal not otherwise legally classified by statute or regulation of this state

Wildlife - wild mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, mollusk, crustacean or other wild animal

(Miss. Code Ann. § 49-5-105)



BANS pursuit, take, wounding, killing, capturing, possession and export of wild birds and eggs.

  • NOT: in violation of MBTA
    • game birds with open season
    • introduced pheasants
    • scientific purposes
    • English sparrow
    • red-winged blackbird
    • rusty blackbird
    • Brewer’s blackbird
    • grackles
    • brown-headed cowbird
    • European starling
    • Crows
    • Control of depredation by landowner of birds listed above except game birds and pheasants

(Miss. Code Ann. § 49-5-7)


PERMIT (Commercial Quail Breeder’s License) required to propagate pen-raised quail for commercial sale for consumption only. 

  • EXEMPT: raising quail for other purposes (limit 100/year for personal consumption)

(Miss. Code Ann. 49-13)


Take, possession, transport, export, purchase and sale of nongame in need of conservation only allowed as specified below.

    • endangered reptiles and amphibians
    • game herp (bullfrog, bronze frog, pig frog)
    • American alligator
    • commercially recognized genetic color mutants

PERMIT (Resident Sportsman’s License, All Game Hunting/Freshwater Fishing License, or Small Game Hunting/Freshwater Fishing License or Nonresident All Game Hunting License) required to take nongame for personal use (wild-caught may not buy, sell or exhibit without permit).

  • Nongame Amphibians: Take 20/year and possess 20 (4 per species)
  • Nongame Snakes and Lizards: Take 20/year and possess 20 (4 per species)
    • Venomous snake cages need DANGER on them
  • Alligator Snapping Turtles: Take 1/year and possess 1 with top shell carapace of 24”+
  • Common snapping, smooth and spiny softshell turtles: Take 1/day (4 per species)
  • Unlisted Nongame Turtles: Take 10/year and possess 10 (4 per species)
    • PERMIT required to take from Apr 1 to Jun 30
  • Nongame Mammals: Take 10/year and possess 10 (2 per species)
  • Nongame Fish: Take 4/year and possess 4

LIST: See Detailed List

Commercial Captive Propagation:

PERMIT (Nongame Wildlife Captive Propagation Permit) required to propagate nongame for commercial purposes. 

  • Alligator snapping turtle stock must be raised from hatchlings by facility

LIMITS: for breeding supply

  • wild-caught nongame reptiles - 8 per species
  • wild-caught nongame amphibians - 16 per species
  • nongame mammals - 4 per species
  • nongame fish - 8
  • Additional ones may be imported, captive-bred by other permit holders, by permit or as allowed elsewhere


  • be resident, NOT have violated department regulations in past 5 years, be 16 or older, have adequate facilities and equipment, hold commercial fishing license, written records of animals, allow inspections, records for source or disposition of animals for 5 years, report of species bought/sold, security of facility, and DANGER signs on venomous snake cages.

  • Imported ones by someone other than permit holder requires special notification
  • PERMIT required to obtain additional nongame upon death
  • Only captive-born nongame may be sold (need invoice or bill of sale)
  • Purchasers may sell with evidence of supplier and displays and advertising for resale must clearly listed them as captive-propagated specimens

Wildlife Retailers and Wholesalers:

  • Wildlife Retailers (buy and resell wildlife at retail)

  • Wildlife Wholesalers (buy and resell at wholesale)

PERMIT (Resident Fur Buyers License or Nongame Importation Permit) required for resident wildlife wholesalers. 

PERMIT (Nonresident Fur Buyers License) required for nonresident wholesalers and retailers who advertise or buy nongame within the state.

Commercial Import and Export:

PERMIT required to commercially import and export nongame. 

  • Nongame must come from out-of-state or propagator
  • Need records of origin for a year and a summary report with number of imports, exports and deaths and profit and loss statement
  • Requires security at facility, proper care and annual inspections



  • Fur-bearing Animals - muskrat, opossum, river otter, weasels, mink, raccoon, bobcat

  • Game – black bear, white-tailed deer, cottontail and swamp rabbits and gray and fox squirrels

BANS possession of live game and fur-bearing animals.

    • public zoological gardens or educational institution (AZA, ZAA or municipal zoo)
    • veterinarian
    • transport to a veterinarian, rehabilitator, shelter or department
    • high-fenced white-tailed deer enclosures
    • fox, coyote and rabbit pens

  • Illegal ones are sent to rehabilitator or euthanized

BANS buying or selling in-state or imported game birds, animals or fish except for certain parts.

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Rule Part 2 8.4, Part 4 Rule 4.1)


PERMIT (Administrative Possession Permit) required to rehabilitate native animals for release.

  • EXEMPT: veterinarians and those transporting an animal to a vet, rehabilitator
  • White-tailed deer may only be rehabilitated at listed places

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Rule 2.6)


PERMIT required to possess live white-tailed deer. 

  • BANS sale
  • BANS import along with transport from wild into high-fence enclosures


  • Orphaned or injured ones require written permission to keep in high-fence enclosures
  • All high-fenced enclosures require registration and enrollment in Enclosure Management Assistance Program
  • Breeding within high-fenced enclosures requires special permit.  
  • Requires registered high-fenced enclosures with white-tailed deer or white-tailed deer and non-native ungulates to have 1) 300 contiguous acres with 50% suitable for the deer and not subject to flooding, and 2) 8’ tall 12 ½ gauge wire fence with net wire on bottom 8’ (unless allowed by commission). (Effective 4/9/21)

(Miss. Code Ann. §49-7-58.1; 40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 2 Rule 8.2)



PERMIT required for wildlife propagation.

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 4 Rule 4.2)


PERMIT (Tamed Quail Shooting Dog Training Permit) required to release tame quail to train dogs.

PERMIT (Field Trial Permit) required to these field trials: raccoon dog, squirrel dog, retriever dog, bird dog, rabbit dog or fox hound. 

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 4 Rule 5.1 & 5.2)


PERMIT required to buy, sell, hunt or possess American alligators, which are not issued for pets.  Live Alligator Sales Form required for sales, which are limited to ranches, fur buyers, or special permits for scientific collection, academic or other purposes.

Transport requires special transportation permit, and import requires special permit. 

BANS alligator wrestling.

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 2 Rule 5.1)


PERMIT (Hunting or Fishing License) required to take game frogs (bullfrog, pig frog, bronze frog).

  • TAKE: 25 frogs a night
  • SEASON: Apr 1 to Sep 30

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 2 Rule 4.1)


BANS taking, possessing, exporting, transporting, selling, and shipping of turtles and tortoises.

  • EXEMPT: Scientific Collection Permit

BANS captive propagation of alligator snapping turtle

  • EXEMPT: Captive Propagation Permit

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 5 Rule 2.2)


PERMIT (Sport Fishing License) required to harvest freshwater crawfish and shrimp for personal use.

PERMIT (Commercial Fishing License) required to sell freshwater crawfish and shrimp harvested from public waters.

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 3 Rule 1.3)


BANS commercial harvest of native mussels.

PERMIT required to take mussels for other purposes.

PERMIT required to take freshwater mussels for culture or scientific investigation.

(Miss. Code. Ann. 49-9; 40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 3 Rule 3.3)



BANS sale and exchange of game fish. 

  • EXEMPT: permit for private pond selling fish grown or cultivated for stocking purposes
  • NOT EXEMPT: fish dealers

Nonresident wholesalers need nonresident commercial fishing license to buy nongame gross fish in the state for resale.  ALL nonresidents who import nongame gross fish into the state to resell to wholesale or retailer or to a consumer also need one. 

Wholesale Minnow Dealer (person selling minnows for resale)

  • LIMITED TO: golden shiner, fathead minnow, goldfish, common carp, emerald shiner, western mosquitofish, eastern mosquitofish and gulf killfish
  • EXEMPT: growing minnows on own property
  • ALSO NEED: commercial fishing license to sell at wholesale

(Miss. Code Ann. 49-7-12.1; 49-7-29, 49-7-87)



BANS take, possession, transport, export, purchase and sale of indigenous state endangered species, federal Endangered Native Fish and Wildlife and federal Endangered Foreign Fish and Wildlife.

    • transport through
    • take, possession, export, and transport under permit for scientific, zoological, educational, propagation, or other special purposes

(Miss. Code Ann. § 49-5-109; 40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 5 Rule 2.4)


BANS transport, sale and possession of live prohibited and invasive species.

  • LIST:
    • walking catfish
    • piranha (Pygocentrus, Pristobrycon, Pygopristis, Serrasalmus)
    • snakeheads (Channidae)
    • swamp eels (Synbranchidae)

BANS release of nonnative aquatic species into private or public ponds or other water.

    • aquaculture facilities
    • koi, common carp, goldfish and grass carp
    • Rainbow trout in private ponds

(Miss. Code Ann. § 49-7-80; 40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 3 Rule 1.1)


BANS sale and possession of live nuisance animals

  • EXEMPT: coyotes and foxes under special permit which is mainly for hunting
  • LIST:
    • wild hog
    • nutria
    • beaver
    • fox
    • skunks
    • coyote

BANS import and release of feral hogs, wild swine or Russian boars.  Transport within the state requires a Live Wild Hog Transportation Permit.

(Miss. Code Ann. § 49-7-140; 40 Miss. Admin. Code Rule 7.1)


PERMITS issued to collect and possess wild animals or birds for scientific or propagation purposes

  • EXCLUDES: contradiction of MBTA
  • Rare and endangered species are limited to accredited schools, colleges or universities, museums or other scientific institutions and federal or state agencies for scientific or propagation purposes or perpetuating the species
  • Game and fur-bearing may only be taken during the closed season for accredited schools, colleges or universities, museums or other scientific institutions and state game commissions for restocking

(Miss. Code Ann. § 49-1-41)


Issues falconry permits.

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 5 Rule 2.1)


BANS import and translocation of white-tailed deer.

  • EXEMPT: university research facilities with special permission

(Miss. Code Ann. § 49-7-54)



PERMIT required for import of elk, red deer, mule deer, black-tailed deer and other cervids susceptible to CWD. Temporary moratorium until USDA adopts CWD rules. 

(Miss. Code Ann. § 49-7-58)



BANS import of wild and feral swine. 

PERMIT (Entry Permit) required to import:

  • Zoo, fur-bearing and other wild animals
  • Wild and semi-domesticated species
  • Nonhuman primates
  • Unlisted exotic livestock or ungulates
  • Ratites
  • Llama, alpaca, guanaco

All animals other than livestock for slaughter also require a certificate of veterinary inspection.


  • Ratites must be free from ticks, Salmonella pullorum and avian influenza (Eastern Equine Encephalitis recommended, not required)
  • American and European bison and exotic cattle are regulated the same as domestic cattle, and exotic equines are regulated the same as domestic equines. 
  • Cervids have special restrictions and those legal to import 6 months or older need brucellosis and TB testing within 30 days
  • Unlisted exotic livestock or ungulates including camelids, exotic bovids and cervids need official marking along with listed testing requirements
  • Inherently dangerous primates need required permit
  • All primates need CVI and negative TB testing within 12 months (herpes B testing for macaques)

(2 Miss. Admin. Code Part 101 Ch. 12)


PERMIT (MDWFP Importation Permit) required to import of all native wild animals and birds at least 30 days prior.  All animals require an ear tag or tattoo, and all birds require a leg or wing band. 

  • EXEMPT: public zoos, zoological gardens and educational institutions

(40 Miss. Admin. Code Part 2 Rule 8.1)