Oregon Legislature

                900 Court St NE

                Salem, OR, 97301

Sessions: 1 Year


         Odd Years - Jan (2nd Mon)
         Even Years - February


         Odd Years - 160 calendar days
         Even Years - 35 calendar days

Bill Search





Who Represents Me?

Find Your Legislators

How A Bill Becomes A Law

Legislative Process

Bill Signing Deadlines

During Session: 5 days excl Sat/Sun
After Session: 30 days after adj

                           exclude Sat/Sun  
Pocket Veto: No
Oregon Constitution Art V Sec 15b

Bill Effective Date

January 1
Oregon Statutes Tit 17 Ch 171.022



      Department of Agriculture

Animal Health and Identification Division
635 Capitol St. NE

Salem, OR 97301-2532        
(503) 986-4680  

Board: Board of Agriculture

Meets: Quarterly




Import Permit

Exotic Permit


Native Species:

   Department of Fish and Wildlife

   Wildlife Division
   3406 Cherry Ave. NE

   Salem, OR 97303             
   (503) 947-6300  

Board: Fish and Wildlife


Meets: Monthly (except Jul & Nov) 



Proposed Rules


Wildlife Licenses


Exotic animals: BANS after January 1, 2010 except grandfathered owners with Exotic Animal Facility Permit, USDA facilities using Class III felines in a hybrid breeding program, rehabilitators, USDA research facilities, animal protection organizations, law enforcement agencies, vets, educational facilities that house crocodilians with written permission, those taking an exotic for less than 48 hours for an emergency, and a capuchin used as a service monkey. 

Exotic Animals:

  • Nonhuman primate
  • Bear
  • Non-indigenous canine
  • Non-indigenous feline
  • Crocodilians

(OAR 603-011-0700 to 603-011-0725; ORS 609-205 to 609-355, 609-992)

Exception: Those with a disability with a physician recommendation to use an unpermitted exotic animal possessed before January 1, 2010 were given until December 31, 2014 to apply for a permit to keep their animals.  (SB 1584, 2/26/2014)

live wildlife species, both native and exotic, are categorized as:

  • Exempt

  • Prohibited (limited to AZA, colleges and universities, and others that pass a  questionnaire and demonstrate adequate facilities and training)


  • Controlled (have specific requirements)

  • Noncontrolled (no ODFW permit needed)

  • Unclassified (same as prohibited)


Exempt are those traveling through the state less than 72 hours that is accompanied by any required ODA import permit. 

(OAR 635-056, Updated 9/11/2014)


NEW: Native wildlife holding and propagating rules were revised as follows:

Protected Wildlife (endangerered/threatened species, non-game birds except European starling, house sparrow, and Eurasian collared-dove, and all listed species) are banned for possession except for the following permits:

  1. Wildlife Holding Permit (3 or more listed nongame wildlife or grandfathered animals) - $26 per species
    • Exceptions: Game Bird Propagation Permit, legally acquired game birds from propagator, Cervid Holding Permit or Propagation License, domesticated fur-bearing fox or mink, game fish under Fish Transport Permit
  2. Wildlife Exhibitor/Animal Entertainment Industry Permit - $100 + $2 agent fee
    • Allows AZA and ZAA to submit accumulated fees during accreditation renewal
  3. Wildlife Sanctuary Permit
  4. Game Bird Propagation License (mourning doves, band-tailed pigeons only, Anatidae except mute swans and Egyptian geese, Subfamily Phasianinae, grouse and ptarmigan except Genuses Centrocercus and Tympanuchus, wild turkey, partridges and common quail, Genuses Callipepla, Colinus, and Oreortyx, and Gallinago delicate) - $54 + $2 – annual report of operations
  5. Falconry License
  6. Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit
  7. Scientific Taking Permit
  8. Game Bird Release Permit for Hunting Dog and Raptor Training and Competitive Hunting Dog Trial Permit
  9. Hunting Preserve License (pheasants, quail, and partridge)
  10. Captive Cervid Holding and Propagation Permits
  11. Federal permit (for migratory birds)
  12. Fox or mink for Fur Farm under Department of Agriculture
  13. Fish Transport Permit
  14. Fish Propagation License
  15. Sturgeon Propagation Permit

Black bear, cougar, bobcat, raccoon, and skunk are now BANNED and new ones are limited to Wildlife Exhibitor/Animal Entertainment Industry or Wildlife Sanctuary Permit with a limit of 1 each for cougar, black bear and bobcat.

  • Must be acquired from out-of-state USDA
  • Lip tattoo or RFID by 1/18/18
  • Must not be removed from wild except placement by Department to AZA or with Scientific Taking Permit or Rehabilitation
  • Cannot be bred except AZA SSP or AZA with approval
  • Black bears, cougars, bobcats and wolves can only be transferred between these permits
  • Raccoons and skunks may not be offered as pets
  • All but skunks must be held in AZA facilities or state caging except transport to vet or pre-approved temporary holding for approved activities
  • Raccoons and skunks can be held under Wildlife Holding Permit with a limit of 2 raccoons
  • Raccoons or skunks must be sterilized if holding both sexes
  • New wolves are limited to AZA and current owners must be USDA

Grandfathered owners of black bear, cougar, bobcat, raccoon, skunk, chipmunk and squirrel need a Wildlife Holding ($26/animal +$2) or Wildlife Exhibitor/Animal Entertainment Industry or Wildlife Sanctuary Permit ($100 + $2), meet the state caging standards, and have proof they were legally acquired by 1/21/18.  Two or more animals of different sex requires sterilization of either sex.

Wildlife Exhibitor/Animal Entertainment Industry or Wildlife Sanctuary Permit – Must be residents; Allows keeping retired animals that were exhibited; Limits transfers to other permittees or AZA and need permission to obtain new animals; Need documentation showing animals are exhibited for exhibition or education or active contract work along with statement of purpose for each animal and emergency action plan; and Written documentation of their qualifications and are 18+ years old with 2 years of experience with resume and 3 letters of recommendation except AZA. Allows holding unreleaseable injured and/or orphaned animals from the wild may be used for education under Wildlife Exhibitor/Animal Entertainment Industry Permit.  Serious human injuries or deaths caused by animal must be immediately reported along with escapes.  Sanctuaries must follow GFAS standards and NOT breed or commercial trade animals or allow unguided public tours or remove animals for non-medical reasons or allows direct public contact.  Requires $1 million liability insurance for black bears, cougars and wolves exhibited to public. Wildlife used in films must follow AHA.  Requires facilities not AZA or ZAA to become accredited by 1/21/2022.  Permits require annual renewal.

 (Adopted 1/20/17 - Effective 2/3/17)


Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit only allows treating and releasing wildlife.  (OAR 635-044-0200 to 0235)


 Agriculture - Need Import Permit and Certificate of Veterinary Inspection for raptors. Nontraditional livestock (reindeer, ostrich, emu, water buffalo and bison) are not regulated by the ODA.  Herp need a CVI.  No requirement for pet birds traveling with their family, but a CVI is required to exhibit or for retail stores. Ratites need CVI, must be isolated for 14 days prior, test negative for Salmonella Pullorum-Typhoid and have permanent ID.

Fish and Wildlife - Nonhuman primates must meet requirements in 603-011-0380.  Mammals except ungulates must be captive bred, wild caught pets kept for a year before entry, or be USDA or AZA facilities with permission.  White-tail deer require a special permit.
(OAR 603-011-0255, 603-011-0380 to 603-011-0420)