BANS sale and purchase of wildlife.

    • Legally taken unprotected wildlife
    • Hides, horns and heads of game animals, furbearer pelts and other parts allowed by commission
    • Court confiscated, abandoned or unclaimed wildlife (ALSO ALLOWS purchase)
    • Commercially raised or harvested wildlife except domestic furbearers
    • Steelhead trout with wholesale steelhead trout buyer’s license or retail steelhead trout buyer’s license       

BANS possession, transport and shipment of wild-caught wildlife unless legally taken. 

(Idaho Statutes 36-501)




PERMIT required to import, export, sell, transport, possess or release captive wildlife.

    • Captive Wildlife Permit (wildlife other than big game)
    • Commercial Wildlife Farm Permit (obtain, possess, preserve or propagate big game for sale)
    • Private Park License (obtain, possess, transport, propagate and process big game for personal use)

    • Agriculture or domestic animals
    • Domestic furbearing animals (regulated under Agriculture)
    • Domestic cervids (regulated under Agriculture)
    • Conventional household pets including sugar gliders and African hedgehogs
    • Domestic captive-born game birds 
    • Birds of prey for falconry 
    • Unprotected wildlife lawfully taken (may release on private lands)
    • Predatory wildlife lawfully taken (may release on private lands)
    • Native reptiles and amphibians (take/possess 4/species)
    • Fish, bullfrogs and crustaceans regulated under fishing laws (See Live Fish)


  • Comply with all other laws
  • Big game must be marked
  • Allow inspections
  • Report any wolves captured alive and released or held in captivity in 3 days
    • Need permanent tattoo
    • Must immediately report of deaths, escapes, releases or ownership changes
    • Liable if wolf escapes and causes property damage
  • Need vet ATTENDING the facility
  • Renewals with unchanged information may use prior fence, enclosure, security information
  • Commercial facilities – removes dead wildlife, vet exam, public feeding, restraints, license display requirements AND
  • warm-blooded need USDA Class C, comply with USDA standards on care, handling and feeding, veterinarian care program and reported deaths to regional office in 10 days
  • Exempts veterinary care from needing transport permit
  • Allows single transport permit to commercial facility for temporary display on annual or semi-annual schedule

Illegal to take or carry away wildlife from a wildlife farm without authorization.  Illegal to trespass on private pond. 

(36 Idaho Statutes Ch. 7; Idaho Admin Rules 13-01-10)




  • threatened Canada lynx
  • taking large predatory wildlife from the wild and keeping as pets (small ones legal).

PERMIT required to propagate or hold big game in captivity.  BANS take as pets. 

LEGAL to possess all other native mammals, birds and reptiles without permit if not species of species concern, threatened or endangered with proof of lawful obtainment

PERMIT (Fish and Game Importation Permit or Exportation Permit) needed to import or export or release wildlife.

  • INCLUDES: domestic fur farms, exotic wildlife and fish exempted below
  • Need certificate of veterinary inspection


  • municipal, county, state or other publicly owned zoo or wildlife exhibit
  • traveling circus, menagerie or trained act of wild animals not permanently located within the state
  • bona fide pet store displaying lawfully acquired wildlife for sale
  • Domestic fur farm (furbearers) – regulated by Agriculture – must allow inspections and records
  • Domestic Cervidae farm (must allow inspections) – regulated by Agriculture – must allow inspections
  • Exotic wildlife (must allow inspections and records)
  • Tropical fish or aquaria or ornamental fish not a threat


  • Must allow inspections
  • Records with dates, names and addresses where obtained, disposal, purchase or sale in last 5 years
  • Furbearers must be captive-born

(36 Idaho Statutes Ch. 7; Idaho Admin Rules 13-01-10)


BANS take and possession of sturgeon.

PERMIT required to possess, transport, import or release live fish, crayfish or bullfrog. 

  • Private Pond Permit (possess and propagate fish for personal use) – 5 years
  • Commercial Fish Rearing License (sell live fish) - $25
  • Live Fish Import/Transport Permit (import/transport live fish)
  • Scientific Collecting, Banding Or Possession Permit
  • Grass Carp Transport/Import Permit

    • Fish (except anadromous salmon and steelhead) at the body of water taken in live well, net or stringer
    • Release of fish at same place and time captured
    • Tropical or ornamental aquarium fish commonly accepted (permit to import/export)
    • Possession of fish from private pond or commercial wildlife facility with sales receipt and written permission
    • Transport between commercial facilities
    • Fish eggs for bait or consumption 
    • Possession of fish from pet shop  


  • NOT constructed in or across natural stream bed, lake, or other watercourse containing wild fish
  • Dams constructed to divert water have fishway
  • Inlets screened at point of diversion to prevent entry of wild fish
  • License for each location
  • CVI required for import and transport of live fish 
  • Must NOT mark fish except with Scientific Collecting Permit
  • Bullfrogs and crayfish may be taken by hand
  • NOT use live fish, leeches, frogs, salamanders, waterdogs, or shrimp as bait except bullfrogs and crayfish
  • Allow inspections


  • Effluent control facilities approved by state/federal agencies   
  • Purchase receipt with hatchery source, number and species, and date for sales from fish ponds and stocking in all waters

Private Pond:

  • Be all on private property owned or leased by licensee                   
  • Property boundaries have at least 3 signs of being park or pond along with entrances 
  • BANS sale and purchase of wild-caught fish

BANS carrying away or taking fish from fish hatchery, fish trap or fish holding pond. 

(22 Idaho Statutes Ch. 46; 36 Idaho Statutes Ch. 7; Idaho Admin Rules 13-01-11)



BANS take of game, song, rodent killing, insectivorous or other innocent bird except as allowed by law

    • English sparrows
    • Starlings
    • Unprotected wildlife
    • Predatory wildlife (only small predatory may be taken as pets)    

BANS take and possession of protected nongame and threatened or endangered species  

Wildlife Classifications


  • Migratory birds must be taken and possessed according to federal law  
  • Take of big game, upland game, game birds, migratory birds, game fish/crustacea and furbearing animals must be in accordance with law

(36 Idaho Statutes Ch. 11; Idaho Admin. Code


PERMITS issued for falconry and raptors.   

  • Falconry Permit – 3 years
  • Raptor Captive Breeding Permit – 3 years
  • Raptor In-State Transfer Permit

(36 Idaho Statutes Ch. 11)

DELETERIOUS EXOTIC ANIMALS (Revised Effective 3/2/22)

PERMIT required to import, possess, transfer, sell, barter, trade, or temporarily exhibit deleterious exotic animals.  

  • Deleterious Exotic Animal Possession Permit (possess, transfer, sell, barter, trade) – valid for life of animal
  • Temporary Exhibitor Permit (45-day exhibits)
  • Deleterious Exotic Animal Import Permit

BANS propagation except for AZA with possession permit and USDA exhibitor license.   

BANS release of deleterious exotic animals


  • Mute swan except pinioned


  • Canines: All non-native
  • <DELETED Cervids: Red deer, sika deer>
  • Large Felidae: caracal, cheetah, jaguar, leopard (all), lion, tiger
  • Small Felidae: Geoffroy’s cat, margay, ocelot, serval
  • Insectivores: European hedgehog
  • Marsupials: Brush-tailed possum
  • Primates: all non-human
  • Sheep: Barbary and Mouflon
  • Procyonids: Coatimundi, kinkajou 
  • Rodents: African dormice, African rope squirrels, African striped mice, African tree squirrels, brush-tailed porcupines, <DELETED capybara,> Gambian giant pouched rats, prairie dogs, South American rodents (except chinchillas and guinea pigs)
  • Swine: European or Russian wild boar
  • Peccary


  • Allows inspections
  • Kept in facilities to prevent escape
  • Report escapes within 24 hours   
  • Microchip and leg band for birds; microchip for mammals    
  • Annual animal inventory
  • Records of transfer, sales, barters, trades, changes in ownership or changes of possession
  • Certificate of Veterinary Inspection for import
  • Primates and large felidae limited to AZA except capuchin, marmoset, spider monkey, squirrel monkey


  • Separate permit for each facility
  • Name, address, EIN or SSN
  • facility description (map, description and location of real property, detailed diagram with fences/gates/confinement, fencing specifications – exterior/interior fence, height, materials)
  • Name and address of facility owner
  • Copy of local zoning approval if required
  • Description of animals by genus, species, sex, age, identification form and number, and purpose
  • Name and address of owner
  • Name and address of vet 
  • Written statement of training and experience  
  • Written statement of escape protocols   
  • Documentation of USDA, USFWS, AZA accreditation or license as applicable   
  • Meeting propagation requirements if applicable
  • Proof of sterilization unless propagation authorized
  • Date available for inspection (must be at least 7 days prior to obtaining animals)
  • Approval based on proximity to farms, ranches, wildlife migration routes; potential for unintended access, vandalism and escape; facility size compared to animals; whether laws are being met; applicant’s knowledge


  • Name, address, EIN or SSN of applicant
  • name and address of owner and operators of exhibit
  • description of cages or housing
  • physical address and map of each exhibit location in state
  • Name and address of owner
  • Written statement with escape plan
  • USDA license documentation if applicable  

(25 Idaho Statutes Ch. 39; Idaho Admin. Code 02.04.27)


INVASIVE SPECIES (Revised Effective 3/15/22)

BANS possession, cultivation, import, export, shipment, transport, release into environment of invasive species along with transporting conveyance or equipment in infested area without decontamination and transport and import of animals infested with them.   

PERMIT (Invasive Species Possession Permit) required to possess, cultivate, import, ship or transport invasive species.   


  • Transfer to agency in sealed container for identifying or reporting
  • Transport for disposal under permit
  • Dead species
  • Exempt species (New Zealand mud snail, Asian clam, bullfrog) except Transport Permit needed when outside established area

LIST (3/15/22):


  • Zebra mussel
  • Quagga mussel


  • New Zealand Mud Snail


  • Red Claw
  • Yabby
  • Marone
  • Marbled
  • rusty


  • Asian 


  • spiny
  • fishhook



  • Green Sturgeon
  • walking catfish
  • bowfin
  • gar
  • piranha (Serrasalmus, Rosseveltiella, Pygocentrus)
  • rudd
  • ide
  • diploid grass carp
  • bighead carp
  • silver carp
  • black carp
  • snakehead
  • round goby
  • ruffe


  • Rough-skinned newt
  • bullfrog


  • red-eared slider
  • Mediterranean gecko
  • common wall lizard
  • Italian wall lizard
  • Brahminy blindsnake
  • snapping turtle


  • Monk parakeet


  • Nutria

Insects and land snails no longer listed. 


  • Proximity to agricultural operations, and environmentally sensitive lands and waters
  • Potential for unauthorized access
  • Potential for vandalism, adverse weather and other events
  • Potential for escape or release
  • Compliance with other laws
  • Knowledge, experience and training
  • Design of facility


  • Allows inspections
  • Permit per facility
  • Annual report

(22 Idaho Statutes Ch. 19; Idaho Admin. Code 02.06.09)


REGISTRATION with division of animal industries required to breed, own or control or hold in captivity domestic cervids (fallow deer, elk, reindeer – excludes red deer) on farms or ranches for breeding or useful purposes.   Such activities are considered agricultural pursuits and such cervids are considered livestock.  NEW Repealed ban on holding reindeer for domestic purposes north of Salmon River. (Idaho Code 25-3701; Chapter 245 – Effective 7/1/21)

IMPORT (Agriculture) (Revised Effective 3/31/22)

BANS import of deleterious exotic animals and invasive species except as allowed under those laws.

Wildlife and exotic animals are regulated by Fish and Game.  However, PERMIT (Entry Permit) and Certificate of veterinary inspection from Department of Agriculture are also required to import along with any required testing.  Reptiles and amphibians just need the CVI.

  • EXCLUDES FROM WILDLIFE: domestic bison (bison owned by person), domestic cervidae (elk, fallow deer and reindeer owned by person), domestic fur-bearing animals (Fox, skunk, raccoons, mink, chinchilla, marten, fisher, muskrat, beaver, and bobcat used in fur industry) and fish
  • EXEMPT: Invertebrates


  • Fish prohibited in VHSV areas unless permit issued by Fish and Game
  • Fish need 1) import permit, 2) either CVI, Title 50 certification OR American Fisheries Society Certified Fish Health Inspector’s Certification, AND 3) invoice or bill of lading
  • Poultry, game birds and ratites do not need permit but need CVI and either a VS 9-3 if from NPIP flock or negative Salmonella pullorum-typhoid in last 30 days if not from one
  • Pet birds just need CVI
  • Bovids are regulated as cattle
  • Pet pigs follow swine import rules
  • Zebras are regulated under Equidae and need CVI and EIA test

(Idaho Admin. Code 02.04.21

Idaho laws